Summer’s Where You’ll Find Me (work of art)
Key Ideas about this Work of Art
- This big bouquet of flowers is painted on the side of the NCMA’s East Building. It is a mural that showcases a variety of plants and trees that grow in the Museum Park.
- Louise Jones, also known as Ouizi (we-zee), is best known for her large-scale murals of flowers that are native to the surrounding city. Her works are site-specific, which means they are created with a particular location in mind. Site-specific artworks like this one are also interconnected with their surroundings.
- The NCMA commissioned this mural for a 2018 exhibition that featured paintings by Georgia O’Keefe.
Detroit-based artist Louise Jones (also known as Ouizi) creates site-specific, floral mural installations in public spaces throughout the United States. Like Georgia O’Keeffe, Jones is known for painting large-scale flowers that focus the viewer’s attention on the abstract qualities of the subject. Jones says her approach to painting comes from her personal interest in exploring the feminine qualities she sees in flowers.
Summer’s Where You’ll Find Me was commissioned by the NCMA as part of a 2018 exhibition titled The Beyond: Georgia O’Keeffe and Contemporary Art. Jones’s mural continues to “bloom” on the side of the NCMA’s East Building. The flowers depicted in the mural were inspired by flowers and plants that Jones saw in the Museum Park. These include southern magnolia, black-eyed Susans, St. John’s wort, and swamp milkweed, among others. It took the artist four days to create this mural, which she spray painted and painted by hand. The mural is 24 feet wide and 48 feet tall.
Jones created another mural, titled Indian Summer, for the O’Keeffe exhibition. She painted it on a building located at the corner of Davie and South Dawson Streets in Raleigh.
Resources for Teachers:
- Read an interview with Louise Jones.
- Watch a video about the flowers that inspired the mural.
- View other murals created by this artist.
Resources for Students:
- Watch a video tutorial and learn how to paint like Louise Jones.
- Watch a time lapse video of the artist creating Summer’s Where You’ll Find Me.
- Watch an interview with the artist.