Key Ideas about this Work of Art
- These brightly painted benches are connected to each other by an underground tube. When a person whispers into the tube on one of the benches, the sound travels across the clearing to the listener on the bench at the other end of the tube.
- Jim Gallucci’s whisper benches are a playful mix of art and architecture. They are intended to inspire visitors to interact with the works of art and with each other.
- Gallucci creates his sculptural works in his art studio in Greensboro, NC. A motif that he often uses in his sculptures is a doorway. It is meant to represent a change or a transition.
Based in Greensboro, North Carolina, Jim Gallucci uses painted steel and architectural forms to create interactive works of art. Located on either side of a trail, the two sections of Whisper Bench are linked by a hidden sound pipe that allows visitors to whisper messages while sitting on opposite sides of the path.
Resources for Teachers
- Read the artist’s biography.
- Read a short article and watch an interview with the artist.
- Watch a video about the artist’s sculpting business.
Resources for Students