Activity Idea: Figural Pendant (Quick Tip)
Explore the Object in the Classroom:
- Compare this work of art with objects made of gold by other Latin American cultures during the same time period.
- Explore the availability of gold in Central America at the time this pendant was made.
- Write a story about the transformations of a shaman, incorporating the imagery of this pendant into your description.
- Determine why certain metals, such as copper, are added to gold before casting. Predict the effects these metals might have on the color and consistency of gold.
- Find examples of other representations of eagles in Western culture. What does this bird symbolize in various cultures? Create a collage, drawing, painting, or sculpture depicting an eagle in a symbolic way.