Activity Idea: Snap Judgements (Quick Tip)
You may opt to do this activity using smartphone/tablet cameras or sketching on index cards–if sketching on index cards you could draw a 4” x 4” square similar to a square Instagram format.
- Break your group into 2-4 smaller groups and assign a zone of the sculpture to them.
- Discuss birds-eye view and ground-level perspective with them.
- Ask them to take time to look, then identify a detail from this zone that stands out to them. Have them discuss how the detail relates to the sculpture as a whole.
- Have each group take a photo or sketch their selected detail from an interesting perspective.
- The groups will pass their sketch or photo to a group across from them. Each group will try to identify the key detail and come up with a theory for why that detail was selected and how it relates to the themes of the sculpture.
- Groups will share their impressions and compare how hearing the thoughts of another group impacted their own thinking.