Watch Mexican artist Lety Alvarez engage 100+ students across the state during a live stream learning event from September 2019 celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month. In this program, students explored concepts of identity while learning about Lety’s art, and the art of another Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo.
As you view this video segment, consider how you might answer the following questions:
- Who am I? Who are we? How do we show others who we are? Do we have a single identity?
- What comes to mind when you think of Mexico?
- How does the place you live influence your identity?
- Lety Alavrez comes from a city in Mexico called Monterrey. How did this place influence her art?
- Who was Frida Kahlo and how did her life and work influence Lety’s work?
- How do artists’ identities come through in their art?
- What are some ways in which people express their identity? Think about examples in literature, music, clothing, or homes.
- How does Lety come up with ideas for her work?
- Participate in the strategies provided:
At first I thought______________________about this painting.
Now I think______________________about this painting.